- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 cups labneh (or strained natural yogurt)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Snejanka salad is a favorite among Bulgarians and foreigners alike. It is a basic recipe with yogurt, cucumber and garlic typical to many Mediterranean countries, but the Bulgarian additions of crunchy walnuts and aromatic dill make it unique. Bulgarians typically prepare it thick and creamy by using yogurt that was strained from its water for 5-6 hours in a piece of cheesecloth. Same result can be achieved using ready-made labneh.
- Chop the dill and mix with the crushed garlic cloves in a bowl.
- Chop the cucumber in fine cubes and add in the bowl.
- Add the strained yogurt or labneh and the olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt to taste and stir.
- Use raw walnuts or for a different taste try roasting them first. Chop them finely and add to the yogurt mix. Stir well.
You can serve this refreshing salad as accompaniment to any stew, or simply use it as a dip or appetizer.
Alternatively, the Snejanka salad becomes a cold summer soup Tarator, by simply adding cold water to liquify it and a few ice cubes.